HDFS Graduate Admissions
Requirements for Admission
Application Deadline: January 10
- A strong background in the behavioral and/or social sciences and at least one undergraduate statistics class.
- Excellent GPA and strong GRE scores.
- Three letters of recommendation that document superior academic competence and work ethic.
- Background and professional goals that are consistent with program strengths and priorities.
Elements of a Complete Application
- All degree programs begin Fall semester.
- January 10 is a firm deadline for complete applications to all degree programs, but later applications may be considered on
a “space available” basis in the HDFS MS and PhD degree programs.
The Application Form: The Graduate School at Auburn University uses a web-based application system.
Click here to apply.
The Processing Fee: The non-refundable application fee is $50 (U.S. citizens; $60 for international students). It can be paid by credit card when you submit your electronic application or it may be paid by check or money order. Your web-based application becomes available for departmental consideration only upon payment of your application fee.
Official Transcripts: Send one official transcript of all undergraduate and any graduate credits from each school previously attended to the Auburn University Graduate School via mail or electronic transfer:
The Graduate School
Auburn, AL 36849-5122
email@example.com - For transmitting official electronic transcripts from domestic institutions only.
Standardized Test Scores:
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) Scores: Request that the Educational Testing Service send your official GRE scores to the Auburn University Graduate School (institution code: 1005).
- TOEFL (if English is a second language): Request that the Educational Testing Service send your official TOEFL scores to the Auburn University Graduate School.
Letters of Recommendation: Three (3) letters are required. The strongest letters come from faculty, employers and/or internship supervisors who have had direct experience with you and can report on your academic strengths, work ethic, and/or capacity for team work. Please submit letters of recommendation through the web-based system.
Letter of Intent: Your 3-5 page, double-spaced, typed letter of intent will help the Admissions Committee assess the fit between your background and goals and the degree option to which you are applying. The letter should begin with your name and the degree you intend to seek. It should address the following issues:
Upload your letter of intent through the web-based application system.
- If applicable, personal experiences that led to your interest in HDFS or MFT.
- Research and professional interests; research experiences that led to your interests; professional, paraprofessional, or significant volunteer experiences in the provision of human services that shaped your interests.
- Your specific interests in HDFS at Auburn University; faculty research programs or training opportunities at Auburn that interest you.
Resume: Upload your resume or curriculum vitae through the web-based application system.
Optional Application Materials:
Publications and Professional Presentations: Students who have participated in a professional publication or presentation given in a professional forum are encouraged to send a copy with their application materials.
Upload optional application materials through the web-based application system.
Additional Application Material for MFT Applicants: Applicants to the MFT option may be asked to submit a videotape following initial review by the Admissions Committee. Guidelines for producing the tape will be provided to selected applicants following the January 10 application deadline. The MFT option does not require an on-site interview as part of the application system.
Guide to Graduate Programs and Supplementary Application Material
Dircet any questions about the graduate program options in the Department of Human Development and Family Studies or about the application process to:
Dr. Stephen Erath, Graduate Program Officer